Feel like you’re a prisoner to an underperforming, overpriced car insurance policy? Believe me when I say there are many Seattle drivers thinking the same thing.
Shocking but true, nearly 70% of Washington drivers kept buying from the same company for four years or more, and virtually 40% of consumers have never compared rate quotes at all. Many drivers in America could cut their rates by $850 a year just by getting comparison quotes, but they don’t want to take the time to compare rate quotes online. Companies like GEICO, Progressive and Allstate constantly bombard you with TV and radio ads and it can be hard to sift through the bull and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
It’s a great practice to shop coverage around occasionally since prices go up and down regularly. Despite the fact that you may have had the best price on Toyota 86 insurance in Seattle a few years ago you can probably find a lower rate today. Block out anything you think you know about car insurance because you’re about to learn the best methods to lower your rates without sacrificing coverage.
If you already have coverage or are looking for a new policy, follow these tips to find better prices and still get good coverage. Locating the best insurance company for you in Seattle is really quite easy. You just need to use the quickest way to compare insurance rates from many different companies.
The companies shown below have been selected to offer price quotes in Washington. If multiple companies are shown, it’s a good idea that you visit as many as you can to get the most affordable price.
Why you need to buy insurance
Despite the potentially high cost of Toyota 86 insurance, maintaining insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
First, most states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to buy specific minimum amounts of liability if you want to drive legally. In Washington these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you have a lien on your 86, it’s guaranteed your bank will stipulate that you buy insurance to guarantee loan repayment. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the bank will be required to insure your Toyota at a much higher premium rate and force you to reimburse them for the much more expensive policy.
Third, insurance safeguards not only your vehicle but also your financial assets. Insurance will also pay for medical transport and hospital expenses incurred in an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also pays expenses related to your legal defense if you cause an accident and are sued. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance greatly outweigh the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. But the average American driver is currently overpaying as much as $869 every year so it’s very important to do a rate comparison every year to make sure the price is not too high.
Five factors that affect insurance costs
Lots of factors are part of the calculation when you get your auto insurance bill. Some of the criteria are obvious such as your driving record, but other criteria are not as apparent such as whether you are married or your financial responsibility. A large part of saving on auto insurance is knowing some of the factors that help determine the price you pay for auto insurance. If you know what impacts premium levels, this helps enable you to make changes that may result in lower rates.
The items below are some of the things utilized by car insurance companies to help set your rates.
Better prices for continuous coverage – Driving with no insurance is a big no-no and as a result your rates will increase for letting your coverage lapse. In addition to paying higher premiums, getting caught without coverage may earn you fines and jail time.
No auto insurance claims equals cheap premiums – If you’re an insured who likes to file claims you can pretty much guarantee increased rates or even have your policy non-renewed. Car insurance companies in Washington generally give the lowest premiums to drivers that do not abuse their auto insurance. Insurance coverage is intended to be relied upon for claims that you cannot pay yourself.
Keep the miles off and save – The higher the miles on your Toyota in a year’s time the higher your rates will be. Most insurance companies calculate prices based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Autos left parked in the garage cost less to insure as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. It’s always a good idea to double check that your auto insurance declarations sheet correctly shows the correct driver usage, because it can save money. Having the wrong rating on your 86 is throwing money out the window.
Gender and insurance – Over time, data shows women tend to be less risk to insure than men. However, this does not mean women are better drivers. Both genders tend to get into fender benders in similar percentages, but males cause more damage. Not only that, but men also have more aggressive citations such as driving while intoxicated (DWI) or driving recklessly. Young men ages 16 to 20 have the highest risk to insure and thus pay the highest rates.
Insurance rates for married couples – Getting married may earn you lower rates when buying auto insurance. Having a spouse translates into being more stable financially and statistics show drivers who are married file infrequent claims.
Take policy discounts and save on Toyota 86 insurance in Seattle
Car insurance is not an enjoyable expense, but there could be significant discounts that you may not even know about. Some discounts apply automatically when you complete an application, but less common discounts must be inquired about before you get the savings.
- Drive Safe and Save – Drivers who avoid accidents can pay as much as 50% less compared to rates paid by drivers with frequent claims.
- Early Signing – Some car insurance companies provide a discount for buying a policy early. It can save you around 10%.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Maintaining low annual mileage could be rewarded with lower prices due to less chance of an accident.
- Sign Online – Many companies give back up to $50 for completing your application on their website.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags or motorized seat belts can get savings of 25 to 30%.
- Use Seat Belts – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to buckle up before driving can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Payment Method – By paying your entire bill at once as opposed to paying monthly you can avoid the installment charge.
- Club Memberships – Being in qualifying employment or professional organizations can get you a small discount when shopping for car insurance.
- Active Service Discounts – Having a deployed family member can result in better car insurance rates.
It’s important to understand that some of the credits will not apply to the overall cost of the policy. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. Even though it appears adding up those discounts means a free policy, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy.
A few popular companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts are shown below.
- State Farm offers discounts including good student, multiple autos, safe vehicle, defensive driving training, Steer Clear safe driver discount, student away at school, and driver’s education.
- American Family includes discounts for mySafetyValet, early bird, good driver, air bags, and defensive driver.
- GEICO may include discounts for membership and employees, defensive driver, daytime running lights, anti-lock brakes, multi-policy, and driver training.
- 21st Century offers discounts for anti-lock brakes, theft prevention, air bags, good student, defensive driver, and early bird.
- Progressive has discounts for multi-policy, homeowner, good student, online quote discount, continuous coverage, and online signing.
It’s a good idea to ask each company which discounts they offer. Some credits might not be offered on policies in every state.
Insurance agencies are professional risk managers
A small number of people would rather visit with an insurance agent and that is not a bad decision Most agents can help you choose the best coverages and help in the event of a claim. A good thing about comparing insurance prices online is that you can obtain lower rates but still work with a licensed agent. Buying insurance from local insurance agencies is still important in Seattle.
Upon completion of this simple form, your insurance coverage information gets sent to local insurance agents who will give you bids for your car insurance coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to leave your house since rate quotes are delivered immediately to you. If you wish to get a price quote from a specific insurance company, you would need to search and find their rate quote page and submit a quote form there.
If you are wanting to find a reputable agency, it can be helpful to understand the types of insurance agents and how they can service your needs differently. Agencies in Seattle are classified as either exclusive or independent. Either can insure your vehicles properly, but it’s worth mentioning how they are different since it could factor into the kind of agent you use.
Independent Insurance Agents
These agents can quote rates with many companies and that enables them to quote your coverage through many companies and get the cheapest rates. To transfer your coverage to a different company, your agent can switch companies which is easy for the insured.
When shopping rates, you will definitely want to compare quotes from at a minimum one independent agency for the best price selection.
Shown below are independent agents in Seattle that can give you comparison quotes.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agencies
Exclusive agencies have only one company to place business with and examples are State Farm, Allstate, or Farmers Insurance. Exclusive agents are unable to compare rates from other companies so you might not find the best rates. Exclusive agents receive extensive training on what they offer which helps them sell on service rather than price.
Below is a list of exclusive insurance agents in Seattle that can give you price quotes.
Choosing an car insurance agent requires you to look at more than just the bottom line cost. Some important questions to ask are:
- How much can you save by raising your physical damage deductibles?
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
- Where would your vehicle be repaired?
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?
- Do they specialize in personal lines auto insurance in Seattle?
After receiving good responses to your questions as well as affordable Toyota 86 insurance rates in Seattle quotes, you may have found an insurance agent that is reputable and can service your policy. Just remember you can terminate your policy for any reason so don’t feel you’re contractually obligated to a policy for the full term.
Cheaper car insurance premiums are out there
Cheap Toyota 86 insurance in Seattle is possible both online in addition to local insurance agencies, and you need to comparison shop both so you have a total pricing picture. A few companies do not offer the ability to get a quote online and usually these regional insurance providers sell through independent agents.
As you prepare to switch companies, you should never reduce coverage to reduce premium. There have been many cases where consumers will sacrifice uninsured motorist or liability limits to discover at claim time they didn’t purchase enough coverage. The aim is to buy enough coverage at an affordable rate, but do not skimp to save money.
Other learning opportunities
- Auto Insurance Learning Center (State Farm)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for a Ford Escape in Seattle? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Seattle Car Insurance Quotes for Active Military? (FAQ)
- Liability Insurance Coverage (Nationwide)
- Automakers compete to add autobraking (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- How to shop for a safer car (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)