Have you had enough of trying to scrape together enough money to make your car insurance payment? Your situation is no different than many other Washington drivers.
Unimaginable but true, a large majority of car insurance policyholders in Washington have remained with the same car insurance company for at least the last four years, and 38% of customers have never shopped around. With the average premium in the U.S. being $1,847, drivers can cut their rates by 46.5% a year just by shopping around, but they don’t believe the amount of savings they would get if they just switched companies. Due to the abundance of different company options, it is very difficult to find a more affordable insurer.
Consumers should take time to shop coverage around occasionally because prices trend upward over time. Despite the fact that you may have had the lowest rates on Scion xB insurance in Seattle a couple years back you can probably find a better premium rate now. Block out anything you think you know about car insurance because you’re about to learn the fastest way to remove unneeded coverages and save money.
The providers in the list below provide price comparisons in Washington. If multiple companies are listed, it’s highly recommended you compare several of them in order to find the most affordable rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on married female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, and Washington minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, homeowner, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and claim-free. Price information does not factor in Seattle location which can change premiums noticeably.
Car insurance prices based on gender
The example below visualizes the comparison of Scion xB insurance premiums for male and female drivers. The costs are based on no violations or claims, comprehensive and collision coverage, $500 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are applied.
Lower rates by qualifying for these six discounts
Insuring your vehicles can cost a lot, but there could be available discounts that you may not know about. A few discounts will automatically apply when you purchase, but some need to be requested specifically before being credited. If you check and find you aren’t receiving every discount you qualify for, you are not getting the best rate possible.
- Theft Prevention System – Anti-theft and alarm system equipped vehicles are less likely to be stolen and that can save you a little bit as well.
- Telematics Data Discounts – Seattle drivers who agree to allow driving data collection to look at their driving habits by using a small device installed in their vehicle such as Progressive’s Snapshot could see a rate decrease if they exhibit good driving behavior.
- Responsible Drivers – Insureds who avoid accidents can save up to 40% or more on their Seattle car insurance quote than their less cautious counterparts.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Maintaining low annual mileage can qualify you for lower premium rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Clubs and Organizations – Joining qualifying employment or professional organizations could trigger savings on your next auto insurance statement.
- Include Life Insurance and Save – If the company offers life insurance, you could get a break if you buy life insurance from them.
As a sidenote, most discounts do not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only apply to specific coverage prices like medical payments or collision. If you do the math and it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, it just doesn’t work that way. Any amount of discount will definitely lower the cost of coverage.
Some companies who may offer some of the discounts shown above possibly include:
When quoting, ask every insurance company how many discounts you can get. Discounts may not be offered everywhere.
Car insurance does more than just repair your car
Even though it’s not necessarily cheap to insure a Scion in Seattle, car insurance is required in Washington but it also protects you in many ways.
- Just about all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require a specific minimum amount of liability protection in order to drive the car legally. In Washington these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your xB, most lenders will have a requirement that you carry insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Scion at a much higher rate and force you to pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Car insurance protects your vehicle and your assets. Insurance will pay for hospital and medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you cause an accident and are sued. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, comprehensive and collision coverage will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance more than cancel out the cost, especially for larger claims. But the average driver in Washington is overpaying over $700 annually so it’s recommended you shop around at every policy renewal to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Get rate quotes but buy from a local Seattle insurance agency
A small number of people still like to sit down with an agent and doing that can be a smart decision Good agents can answer important questions and will help you if you have claims. One of the best bonuses of comparing insurance prices online is the fact that drivers can get cheaper car insurance rates and still choose a local agent. And supporting neighborhood insurance agencies is important particularly in Seattle.
For easy comparison, once you complete this simple form, your insurance data is instantly submitted to local insurance agents that give free quotes for your business. It’s much easier because you don’t need to drive around due to the fact that quote results will go to you instantly. If you wish to quote rates from a specific auto insurance provider, you can always visit that company’s website and submit a quote form there.
If you are wanting to find a reliable insurance agent, it can be helpful to understand the different agency structures that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Auto insurance agencies are categorized either independent or exclusive. Both can provide auto insurance policies, but it’s good to learn how they are different since it can affect the kind of agent you use.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agents often have affiliation with several companies and that enables them to quote your coverage amongst many companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If you want to switch companies, your agent can just switch to a different company which requires no work on your part.
When comparing rate quotes, you need to contact a few independent agents in order to compare the most rates.
Shown below are Seattle independent insurance agencies that may be able to provide pricing information.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be exclusive generally can only insure with one company and examples are Farmers Insurance, American Family, State Farm and Allstate. They usually cannot place coverage with different providers so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. They receive a lot of sales training in insurance sales and that allows them to sell at a higher price point.
Shown below is a short list of exclusive agents in Seattle that are able to give price quotes.
Deciding on an auto insurance agent shouldn’t rely on just a cheap quote. Here are some questions to ask:
- Are they primarily personal or commercial lines agents in Seattle?
- If you have an accident, are you able to get your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice?
- How much will you save each year by using a higher deductible?
- Does the agent help file claims?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
- Will their companies depreciate repairs to your car based on the mileage?
- How long have they been in business?
Car insurance coverage considerations
Having a good grasp of a car insurance policy helps when choosing the right coverages for your vehicles. Car insurance terms can be impossible to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. Listed below are typical coverages offered by car insurance companies.
Coverage for liability – This protects you from injuries or damage you cause to people or other property that is your fault. It protects you from legal claims by others, and doesn’t cover your injuries or vehicle damage.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You might see liability limits of 25/50/10 that means you have $25,000 bodily injury coverage, $50,000 for the entire accident, and a total limit of $10,000 for damage to vehicles and property. Some companies may use a combined limit which limits claims to one amount and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability coverage pays for things like pain and suffering, legal defense fees and bail bonds. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is your choice, but buy as high a limit as you can afford. Washington state law requires minimum liability limits of 25/50/10 but you should think about purchasing better liability coverage.
Comprehensive or Other Than Collision – Comprehensive insurance coverage covers damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You need to pay your deductible first then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things like vandalism, falling objects and a broken windshield. The most you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider dropping full coverage.
UM/UIM Coverage – This coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants when other motorists are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. Covered losses include hospital bills for your injuries and damage to your Scion xB.
Since many Washington drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (25/50/10 in Washington), their limits can quickly be used up. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is a good idea. Frequently these coverages are set the same as your liability limits.
Collision coverages – Collision insurance pays for damage to your xB from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You will need to pay your deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision insurance covers things such as backing into a parked car, crashing into a building and colliding with another moving vehicle. This coverage can be expensive, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from older vehicles. Another option is to raise the deductible on your xB in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Medical costs insurance – Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance provide coverage for immediate expenses for things like EMT expenses, prosthetic devices, doctor visits, dental work and ambulance fees. They are used in conjunction with a health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. Coverage applies to not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants and also covers any family member struck as a pedestrian. Personal Injury Protection is only offered in select states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage