Having to pay for high-priced car insurance in Redmond can deplete your savings and force you to make sacrifices. Comparing rate quotes can lower your rates and help to lower your bills every month.
Amazingly, most Washington car insurance customers kept buying from the same company for well over three years, and practically 40% of car insurance customers have never quoted rates to find cheaper coverage. U.S. consumers could save up to $850 every year, but they don’t believe how much they could save if they switch to a new company. Consumers have multiple car insurance companies to pick from, and although it’s nice to have a choice, lots of choices makes it harder to find the best rates.
The companies shown below offer free rate quotes in Washington. If multiple companies are shown, we recommend you compare several of them to find the most competitive car insurance rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid||$918||$459||$77|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Crew Cab 4WD||$1,278||$639||$107|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab Laramie 2WD||$814||$407||$68|
|Ford Escape Limited 2WD||$804||$402||$67|
|Ford F-150 FX4 Super Cab 4WD||$1,014||$507||$85|
|Ford Focus SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,020||$510||$85|
|Ford Fusion SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$868||$434||$72|
|Honda Accord LX-P 4-Dr Sedan||$862||$431||$72|
|Honda CR-V LX 2WD||$660||$330||$55|
|Honda Civic EX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,096||$548||$91|
|Honda Odyssey Touring||$1,270||$635||$106|
|Hyundai Elantra SE Touring Station Wagon||$1,090||$545||$91|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 2WD||$748||$374||$62|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 4-Dr Sedan||$958||$479||$80|
|Nissan Rogue S 2WD||$946||$473||$79|
|Toyota Camry Hybrid||$888||$444||$74|
|Toyota Corolla S||$1,094||$547||$91|
|Volkswagen Jetta LE 4-Dr Sedan||$780||$390||$65|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on married female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Washington minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-policy, homeowner, multi-vehicle, and safe-driver. Table data does not factor in your specific Redmond location which can lower or raise premium rates significantly.
Full coverage or liability only
The illustration below examines Chevrolet Silverado insurance premiums with and without physical damage coverage, medical payments, and uninsured/under-insured motorist coverage. The costs are based on no claims or driving violations, $100 deductibles, married male driver, and no policy discounts are applied.
Chevrolet Silverado rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Should you be buying full coverage?
There is no exact formula of when to drop physical damage insurance, but there is a general school of thought. If the annual cost of coverage is more than 10% of replacement cost minus your deductible, then it might be time to buy liability only.
For example, let’s pretend your Chevrolet Silverado book value is $8,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, you would only receive $7,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If you are paying more than $700 annually for your policy with full coverage, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
There are a few situations where eliminating full coverage is not in your best interest. If you have an outstanding loan on your vehicle, you have to carry full coverage in order to satisfy the requirements of the loan. Also, if you can’t afford to buy a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should not drop full coverage.
Auto insurance in Washington serves several purposes
Even though rates can get expensive, auto insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
- Most states have mandatory insurance requirements which means you are required to buy a specific level of liability in order to drive the car. In Washington these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a loan, almost all lenders will force you to have comprehensive coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the bank will be required to insure your vehicle for a much higher rate and force you to pay much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance safeguards both your vehicle and your personal assets. Insurance will pay for all forms of medical expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also covers legal expenses if you are sued as the result of your driving. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, your policy will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance are definitely more than the cost, especially when you need to use it. Today the average American driver is overpaying over $865 each year so compare quotes from several companies at every renewal to make sure the price is not too high.
Don’t listen to company ads
Consumers in Washington can’t get away from ads for car insurance savings from companies such as State Farm, GEICO and Progressive. They all make the point that you’ll save big after switching your coverage.
It sounds good, but how can they all sell you cheaper insurance coverage? It’s all in the words they use.
Insurance providers have strict underwriting profiles for the type of driver they prefer to insure. An example of this type of risk profile might have to be over the age of 50, has no tickets, and drives a safe vehicle. Any new insured who meets those qualifications receives the best auto insurance rates in Redmond and will cut their rates substantially.
Insureds who don’t measure up to this ideal profile may be forced to pay a higher rate with the end result being the customer buying from a different company. The trick is to say “customers that switch” but not “everyone who gets a quote” save that much. That is how insurance companies can make those statements.
Because of this risk profiling, drivers should compare many company’s prices. It’s impossible to know which car insurance company will provide the lowest car insurance in Redmond.
Lower rate quotes by earning these nine discounts
Car insurance is not an enjoyable expense, but you might be missing out on some discounts that can help lower your rates. Certain credits will be shown when you get a quote, but once in a while a discount must be specifically requested in order for you to get them.
- Save with a New Car – Buying insurance on a new vehicle is cheaper because new vehicles are generally safer.
- Braking Control Discount – Cars with ABS and/or traction control have fewer accidents and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage – Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to use a seat belt can save up to 15% off the PIP or medical payment premium.
- Redmond Homeowners Pay Less – Just being a homeowner can earn you a little savings because of the fact that having a home requires a higher level of personal finance.
- Claim-Free Discount – Redmond drivers who stay claim-free are rewarded with significantly better rates on Redmond auto insurance quote compared to drivers with a long claim history.
- Government Employee Discount – Active or former government employment could cut as much as 10% off but check with your company.
- Telematics Data Discounts – Drivers who elect to allow their car insurance company to analyze driving patterns by using a telematics device like Allstate’s Drivewise may get a rate reduction if their driving habits are good.
- Pay Now and Pay Less – By making one initial payment rather than paying in monthly installments you may reduce your total bill.
- Student Discounts – Getting good grades can get you a discount of up to 25%. The discount lasts up to age 25.
Drivers should understand that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire policy premium. Most only cut the cost of specific coverages such as medical payments or collision. Despite the appearance that you can get free auto insurance, you’re out of luck. But all discounts will cut your car insurance premiums.
Companies who may offer some of the discounts shown above may include but are not limited to:
If you need inexpensive Redmond auto insurance quotes, ask each company or agent what discounts are available to you. A few discounts may not be available in every state. To view insurers with discount car insurance rates in Redmond, follow this link.
Get rate quotes but buy from a local neighborhood Redmond car insurance agent
A lot of people just want to sit down with an agent and doing so can bring peace of mind Professional insurance agents are very good at helping people manage risk and help you file claims. One of the best bonuses of getting free rate quotes online is that you can find cheap rate quotes and still have an agent to talk to. And providing support for neighborhood insurance agencies is important especially in Redmond.
Once you complete this form (opens in new window), the quote information is emailed to companies in Redmond who will return price quotes to get your business. There is no need to leave your house because prices are sent immediately to your email address. If you have a need to get a comparison quote from a specific insurance company, just jump over to their website to submit a rate quote request.
Do you need an independent or exclusive car insurance agent?
If you’re trying to find an insurance agent, it’s helpful to know the different types of agencies and how they function. Redmond agents can either be independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive. Either one can insure your vehicles, but it’s good to learn the subtle differences since it could factor into the type of agent you choose.
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies or Brokers
These agents often have many company appointments and that is an advantage because they can write policies with an assortment of companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If they find a cheaper price, your agent can just switch to a different company without you having to go to a different agency. When comparing rates, we recommend you include price quotes from several independent agencies so that you can do a thorough price comparison.
The following are independent agencies in Redmond who can help you get price quotes.
Agents in the exclusive channel can only provide one company’s prices such as American Family, State Farm, and Allstate. They usually cannot compare other company’s rates so always compare other rates. Exclusive agents are very knowledgeable on their products and sales techniques which helps them compete with independent agents.
Listed below are Redmond exclusive agents willing to provide price quote information.
Picking an car insurance agent is decision based upon more than just a cheap price quote. Here are some questions to ask:
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in Washington?
- Are claims handled at the agent’s location?
- How long has their agency been in business in Redmond?
- Is every driver in your family covered?
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies in Redmond?
- Do the coverages you’re quoting properly cover your vehicle?
- Can they help ensure a fair claim settlement?
Tailor your insurance coverage to you
When it comes to coverage for your vehicles, there is no perfect coverage plan. Everyone’s situation is a little different and your insurance should unique, too.
For example, these questions might point out if your situation could use an agent’s help.
- Are all vehicle passengers covered by medical payments coverage?
- When should I have rental car coverage?
- If my vehicle is totaled, can I afford another vehicle?
- Is business property covered if stolen from my car?
- Is my dog or cat covered if injured in an accident?
- Can my teen drive my company car?
- Is my teenager covered with friends in the car?
- Which companies are cheaper for teen drivers?
If you’re not sure about those questions, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, fill out this quick form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can help protect your family.
Learning about specific coverages of a car insurance policy helps when choosing the best coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. Policy terminology can be impossible to understand and coverage can change by endorsement. Below you’ll find typical coverages available from car insurance companies.
Collision – Collision insurance pays to fix your vehicle from damage resulting from colliding with an object or car. A deductible applies and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage protects against claims such as damaging your car on a curb, hitting a mailbox, crashing into a ditch and hitting a parking meter. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider dropping it from vehicles that are older. You can also bump up the deductible to save money on collision insurance.
Medical expense insurance – Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance kick in for expenses for nursing services, X-ray expenses and dental work. The coverages can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if you lack health insurance entirely. Medical payments and PIP cover not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants as well as any family member struck as a pedestrian. Personal Injury Protection is not available in all states but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Comprehensive (Other than Collision) – This coverage covers damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You first have to pay a deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive can pay for things such as fire damage, theft, vandalism, falling objects and damage from getting keyed. The highest amount you’ll receive from a claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Liability insurance – Liability coverage protects you from damages or injuries you inflict on other’s property or people by causing an accident. It protects YOU against claims from other people. Liability doesn’t cover damage to your own property or vehicle.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have liability limits of 25/50/10 which means a $25,000 limit per person for injuries, $50,000 for the entire accident, and property damage coverage for $10,000. Another option is a combined single limit or CSL which provides one coverage limit with no separate limits for injury or property damage.
Liability coverage protects against things such as structural damage, pain and suffering, medical services, repair costs for stationary objects and attorney fees. How much liability should you purchase? That is a personal decision, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as much as you can afford. Washington requires minimum liability limits of 25/50/10 but you should think about purchasing more liability than the minimum.
Protection from uninsured/underinsured drivers – This coverage provides protection from other motorists when they are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. Covered losses include injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants as well as damage to your vehicle.
Since many Washington drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (which is 25/50/10), their limits can quickly be used up. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is a good idea. Usually the UM/UIM limits are set the same as your liability limits.
More comparisons equals cheap rates
You just read quite a bit of information on how to save on insurance in Redmond. The key concept to understand is the more quotes you get, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers may even find the best price on insurance is with a small mutual company. Some small companies may have significantly lower car insurance rates on certain market segments than the large multi-state companies such as GEICO and State Farm.
When shopping online for insurance, do not skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There have been many cases where someone sacrificed comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to regret that they should have had better coverage. Your strategy should be to get the best coverage possible at an affordable rate, but do not skimp to save money.
- Air Bags: Potential Dangers to Your Children (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Ford Fusion in Seattle? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for a Jeep Wrangler in Seattle? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Ride Shares in Seattle? (FAQ)
- How Much are Seattle Car Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Camry? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for College Graduates in Seattle? (FAQ)
- Senior Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- Neck Injury FAQ (iihs.org)
- Credit and Insurance Scores (Insurance Information Institute)
- Choosing an Insurance Company (Insurance Information Institute)