No car owner loves paying for insurance, in particular when they are paying too much.
Amazingly, a large majority of drivers kept their coverage with the same insurance company for more than four years, and nearly half have never even compared quotes to find cheaper rates. Seattle insurance shoppers could save an average of roughly $400 each year just by shopping around, but they underestimate the amount of savings they would get if they replace their high priced policy. Due to the large number of companies to choose from , it’s difficult to find a lower cost insurer.
It’s a good habit to do rate comparisons on a regular basis since insurance prices are usually higher with each renewal. Just because you found the lowest price on insurance a few years ago you can probably find a lower rate today. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about insurance because we’re going to demonstrate the quickest way to find great coverage at a great price.
Quoting the lowest-priced auto insurance in Seattle is easy to do. If you are already insured or just want cheaper coverage, use these cost-cutting techniques to get lower rates without sacrificing coverage. Smart shoppers just have to use how to compare rates from many different companies.
Don’t overlook these insurance discounts
Some insurers don’t always publicize all discounts in an easy-to-find place, so the following is a list of a few of the more well known and the harder-to-find credits available to bring down your rates.
- Driver Training Discounts – Taking a class that teaches driver safety techniques could possibly earn you a 5% discount depending on where you live.
- E-sign – Certain companies will give you a small discount for buying your policy digitally online.
- Early Payment Discounts – If paying your policy premium upfront rather than paying in monthly installments you can avoid monthly service charges.
- Discounts for Good Drivers – Accident-free drivers can pay as much as 50% less than drivers with accident claims.
- Distant Student – Children living away from Seattle attending college and don’t have a car could get you a discount.
- Driver’s Education for Students – It’s a good idea to have your young drivers enroll and complete driver’s education if it’s offered in school.
- Passive Restraints – Vehicles equipped with air bags or automatic seat belts may earn rate discounts of 20% or more.
- Professional Memberships – Affiliation with qualifying clubs or civic groups could qualify you for a break on your next renewal.
- Good Student – Getting good grades could provide a savings of up to 20% or more. This discount can apply until age 25.
A little disclaimer on discounts, many deductions do not apply to all coverage premiums. A few only apply to individual premiums such as medical payments or collision. Despite the fact that it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, it just doesn’t work that way.
Companies who might offer many of the previously listed discounts are:
If you need lower rates, check with each company which discounts you may be entitled to. Depending on the company, some discounts may not be available everywhere. To locate companies with the best insurance discounts in Washington, click here to view.
The most recommended method to compare rates utilizes the fact most insurance companies have advanced systems to give free rates quotes. All consumers are required to do is give the companies some data like which vehicles you own, whether you drive to work or school, your credit rating estimate, and if the car is leased. Your rating data is instantly submitted to all major companies and you will get price comparisons very quickly.
To start a rate quote now, click here and see if a lower rate is available in Seattle.
The companies shown below have been selected to offer price comparisons in Washington. If multiple providers are shown, we recommend you click on several of them to get the best price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab Hybrid 4WD||$1,218||$609||$102|
|Dodge Grand Caravan SXT||$792||$396||$66|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab SLT 2WD||$1,016||$508||$85|
|Ford Escape XLT 2WD||$578||$289||$48|
|Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab Harley 4WD||$1,030||$515||$86|
|Ford Focus S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,120||$560||$93|
|Ford Fusion SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$1,132||$566||$94|
|GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab 4WD||$1,278||$639||$107|
|Honda Accord LX-P 4-Dr Sedan||$760||$380||$63|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 4WD||$678||$339||$57|
|Honda Civic DX 4-Dr Sedan||$910||$455||$76|
|Honda Odyssey EX W/Rear Entertainment||$808||$404||$67|
|Kia Optima SX||$872||$436||$73|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 4-Dr Sedan||$1,168||$584||$97|
|Toyota Camry XLE||$978||$489||$82|
|Toyota Corolla XRS||$968||$484||$81|
|Volkswagen Jetta SE 4-Dr Sedan||$884||$442||$74|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Premium data assumes single male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Washington minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, homeowner, safe-driver, claim-free, and multi-policy. Rate quotes do not factor in your specific Seattle location which can lower or raise premium rates noticeably.
Difference between liability only and full coverage rates
The illustration below illustrates the difference between Hyundai Elantra insurance premiums when comparing full coverage to state minimum liability only. The prices are based on no claims or driving citations, $500 deductibles, single male driver, and no discounts are factored in.
Hyundai Elantra rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
When to drop comp and collision
There is no definitive guideline to drop physical damage coverage, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the annual cost of your full coverage insurance is more than about 10% of the replacement cost of your vehicle minus the policy deductible, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
For example, let’s assume your Hyundai Elantra replacement value is $8,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most your company will settle for is $7,000 after you pay the deductible. If it’s costing you more than $700 a year for physical damage coverage, then you might consider buying liability only.
There are a few cases where removing full coverage is not financially feasible. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you have to keep full coverage to satisfy the loan requirements. Also, if you can’t afford to buy a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should not remove full coverage.
The chart below shows how choosing a deductible and can influence Chevrolet Tahoe insurance prices for different age groups. The premium estimates are based on a single female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no policy discounts are applied.
Chevrolet Tahoe rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
How violations and accidents impact rates
The information below shows how violations and fender-benders increase Chevrolet Malibu insurance costs for different categories of driver ages. The data is based on a single female driver, full physical damage coverage, $1,000 deductibles, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Chevrolet Malibu rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Five things that affect your costs
Many things are part of the calculation when you quote your car insurance policy. Some are obvious such as traffic violations, but other factors are less obvious such as your credit history or your financial responsibility. When buying auto insurance it’s important to understand the rating factors that are used to determine your policy premiums. If you have some idea of what influences your rates, this allows you to make educated decisions that may result in lower rates.
The list below includes a few of the things used by your company to calculate your prices.
Traffic violations hurt – Drivers who don’t get tickets get better rates than their less careful counterparts. Even a single speeding ticket or other violation may increase your cost by as much as twenty percent. Drivers who have dangerous tickets like DUI or willful reckless driving may find they need to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility with their state DMV in order to legally drive.
Lower miles driven equals lower premium – The higher the mileage driven each year the higher your rate. Almost all companies apply a rate based upon how much you drive. Autos that sit idle most of the time can get a lower rate than cars that get driven a lot. Make sure your auto insurance coverage states the correct usage.
Discounts for married couples – Being married may earn you lower rates on your auto insurance bill. Having a significant other is viewed as being more mature and statistics prove married couples file fewer claims.
Stress out and pay more – Do you work in a high-stress field? Careers like military personnel, social workers and dentists tend to have higher premium rates attributed to intense work-related stress and lots of time spent away from family. Other careers like farmers, students and performers pay lower than average rates.
Limits of liability protection – The liability coverage on your policy will provide protection if a jury decides you are liable for causing personal injury or damage in an accident. Liability provides legal defense to defend your case. This coverage is very inexpensive as compared to coverage for physical damage, so buy as much as you can afford.
Are car insurance agents a thing of the past?
Some people would prefer to buy from a licensed agent. Most agents are highly skilled in risk management and help submit paperwork. One of the benefits of price shopping on the web is the fact that drivers can get the lowest rates and still buy from a local agent. Putting coverage with small agencies is still important in Seattle.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is immediately sent to local insurance agents in Seattle that can provide free Seattle car insurance quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You never need to drive around since rate quotes are delivered directly to your email. If you have a need to compare rates from a specific insurance provider, just search and find their rate quote page and give them your coverage information.
If you prefer to buy insurance from a reliable insurance agency, you need to know there are two types of agencies that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Insurance agents can be described as either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive). Either one can sell and service insurance coverage, but it’s important to know how they differ since it can impact which type of agent you select.
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents in the independent channel are not employed by one company so they can quote policies with any number of different companies and find the cheapest rate. If prices rise, the business is moved internally and that require little work on your part.
When shopping rates, you should always get rate quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to ensure the widest selection of prices.
Featured below are independent agents in Seattle who may provide free insurance rate quotes.
Agents in the exclusive channel can only provide pricing for a single company such as AAA, Allstate, and State Farm. Exclusive agents cannot compare other company’s rates so always compare other rates. Exclusive agents are usually well trained in insurance sales which aids in selling service over price.
Listed below are exclusive insurance agents in Seattle who can help you get comparison quotes.
Finding the right insurance agency requires more thought than just the premium amount. Any agent in Seattle should have no problem answering these questions:
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage in Seattle?
- Who are their largest clients?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- What is their Better Business Bureau rating?
- Will they take your side in the event of a claim?
- Will your rates increase after a single accident?
- How long has their agency been in business in Seattle?
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
Insurance just makes sense
Despite the high cost, maintaining insurance is required in Washington but also provides important benefits.
- Most states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a specific level of liability coverage in order to drive the car. In Washington these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your vehicle, most banks will make it mandatory that you have full coverage to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you default on your policy, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your vehicle at a much higher rate and force you to pay for it.
- Insurance protects not only your vehicle but also your assets. It also can pay for medical bills that are the result of an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also pays for attorney fees and expenses in the event you are sued. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of insuring your car more than cancel out the cost, especially for larger claims. An average driver in America overpays more than $865 each year so smart consumers compare quotes every year to save money.
Cover all your bases
We’ve covered many ways to reduce auto insurance car insurance rates online in Seattle. The most important thing to understand is the more companies you get premium rates for, the better your comparison will be. Drivers may even discover the lowest priced auto insurance comes from the least-expected company. These companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost than their larger competitors like Allstate and Progressive.
Some auto insurance companies do not provide internet price quotes and many times these small insurance companies prefer to sell through independent agents. Budget-friendly auto insurance in Seattle is attainable both online and from local insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best selection.
More information is located at the links below
- Credit and Insurance Scores (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Teenagers in Seattle? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Good Drivers in Seattle? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Safe Drivers in Seattle? (FAQ)
- Things to Know Before you Cancel Insurance (Allstate)
- Pickups fall short in headlight tests (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Rearview cameras reduce backing crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Coverage Information (Progressive Insurance)